Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you, Darlene. Well, most of my work was done to be honest. :D When I did the musical suite, I was looking for images and clips from the episode. I found both, somebody even made a slideshow with some stills and I took the freedom to use some of it. But I'm glad that you like it.

Snow Files of the Week: "Titles/Sadie tells about Tate" from the tv movie "Helter Skelter" (2004).

For this movie about Charles Manson and his "family", Snow composed a very dark and brooding score. Dark ambient soundscapes, combined with tender moments and a hauntig female solo voice.

The CD was released by BUYSOUNDTRAX.COM, limited to 1000 copies.

Enjoy!

"Helter Skelter" has always been a soft spot with me.  My high school sweetheart's last name is/was Tate. We went together for 4 1/2 years, he was one year ahead of me. After I graduated, we got married and it lasted a whopping one year.  He went into active duty in the military right after our wedding, and I eventually found out he had been screwing around while we were going together, and now had a girlfriend where he was stationed.  Anyway, I was a Tate at the time of Sharon Tate's death, and of course the other's who died with her.  Man did I get bombarded with, "Are you related?"  Honestly, at the time it was kinda scary not knowing if they were after the entire Tate family.

Mark did a fantastic job bringing out the darkness, and thankfully this music isn't creepy.  As you know there is a difference.

Again I say, :52: Alex.

I remember bits and pieces about the Tate/LaBianca murders.  Probably  more from teh 70's movie than  from the actual events.   

A personal story... One night,  I was sleeping  in the  camper.  Me and one of my stepsisters slept in a camper apart from the main trailer.  The trailer couldn't hold 2 adults and 6 kids and for some reason, we were the two that   were relegated apart from  the main  home. Anyway, It's   night-time, don't know what time,  the door bursts open, and all I see is the barrel of a shotgun coming in!    I thought I was going to die that night. But.. it was my  dad, totally freaked out, and coming to get me and my stepsister out of there and put us in the main  trailer with the rest of the family. All I knew about it was that some guy named charlie had gone crazy and  was killing people.  Now I live in Florida and did so back then too.   There was no local guy named Charlie killing people that I  heard about any time after that night. The only thing I can figure is that Dad saw the news story, thought maybe it was local?   I don't know.  It  was the right year though.  Right time of year..  I was 6 or 7 and  didn't watch news, didn't know much about the world. It was later that year when I discovered there were even YEARS.   saw  a date on a chalkboard and asked the teacher what it was.  She told me, It was the month, the day of  the month and the year. I'm like, year? we have such things?  

Okay so if it was The Tate murder or LaBianca, how would anyone  know it was some guy named charlie?  I don't know.  But  when I remember it, I always figure it was related to the  murder spree the Manson cult went on, news got out and scared people everywhere.

When the movie came on TV in the 70's  it scared the  beegeezus out of me.  during a commercial I walked down the hall to go pee ( this time it was in a house in  louisiana, had a long hall)..  My brother jumped out of a bedroom in a mask and jabbed me with a rubber knife.  I  actually collapsed, nearly fainting, and  started gasping for air, I had  such a fright!..  I didn't know it was my brother playing a joke... 

Snow sure captured the  tone and mood I think, with his music.

Earthnut sorry your Tate was a cheat and am very glad they weren't  going after all Tates.. and that you're here. 

Wow Lisa, what a story.  I honestly don't remember much about the murders myself, and yes, the movie was creepy.

The joke your brother played on you was horrible and yet funny at the same time.  Thankfully you recovered from it.

And thank you for your kind words.  I remarried, and divorced, so obviously I don't know how to pick them.. But now I am using a different name, so prayerfully I'm safe.  I'm glad to be here too.

Mark Snow is a genius.

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Prayer/Suicide Exam" from the X-Files episode "Die Hand Die Verletzt (1995)".

A remarkable score by Mark for this episode. The story around satanic rituals, belief and posession inspired Mark to this very dark and gothic score. The brooding ambient music sets the mood for the chilling events that occur at a high school. Mark also brings some satanic chants into the music, making this one of the most memorable scores of the entire show.

"Die Hand Die Verletzt" is german for "The Hand that wounds". The term can be heard in the satanic prayer the teachers are doing at the beginning of the episode. Ironically the episode got another title in Germany, where it's called "Satan".

Music from "Die Hand Die Verletzt" was released on the second volume of the X-Files 4-Disc-Box-Set by La-La Land Records. The set is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

I don't believe in glorifying "Satan" in any way shape or form, so naturally I would prefer the title, "Die Hand Die Verletzt," and glad they went with it.  Very eerie track and fitting.

Thanks again Alex.  :23:

• Elders (Moderators)

Well, "The Hand that wounds" is Satan's hand. ;)

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from "MillenniuM - Season One" (1996/97).

Chris Carter's second show began its three years run with the highest ratings, that a pilot ever had on the FOX network. Later, the show struggled with lowering ratings, which led to the cancellation after the third season. Nevertheless, the show gained a loyal fanbase, which still supports the show.

Mark's music is even darker than it was on The X-Files, but always with a ray of hope. He uses a violin sound for the main character Frank Black, which often accompanies his journey with variations of the main theme. This was also an different approach, while on The X-Files Mark didn't use the main theme within the episode's music very often. "MillenniuM" still is very special to Mark, he really poured his heart and soul into the show's music.

During the show's initial run, no score album was released. The first thing, that appeared, was an iTunes-only album called "The Best of MillenniuM", consisting of tracks from all three seasons. In 2008, La-La Land Records released a 2-CD set, limited to 2000 copies. This set sold out a year later and was re-released in 2015, limited to 1.000 copies. For a limited time, you can get the 2-CD-set now for only $10 at La-La Land Records.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

You're welcome, Darlene. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "George is thinking/Life is so strange" from the french movie "Les Herbes Folles (aka "Wild Grass")" (2009).

The movie marked the second collaboration between Mark and director Alain Resnais. The piano theme is easily one of the most beautiful things Mark has ever written. And in the second track, "Life is so strange", the violin from "MillenniuM" makes another appearance.

The score is available digitally and on a very rare 2-CD-Set, that was only released in France.

Enjoy!