Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

You're welcome, Darlene.

Snow Files of the Week: "People & UFO's/ Life Among The Sun's Family" from the score to the IMAX feature "UFO - The Truth Is Here" (2001).

This is a very rare piece of music by Mark, since the album was only available at IMAX theatres in Sweden. The music assembles the best parts of Mark's ambient music for the early X-FILES-Seasons (no surprise considering the subject matter). The CD is a very rare collector's item, since it was never available for sale online and is now very hard to find.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Big Yellow House/Exterminated" from "MillenniuM", episode "Pilot" (1996).

When The X-Files went into its fourth season, Chris Carter's second show "MillenniuM" premiered. The first episode of "MillenniuM" gained the highest number of viewers FOX ever had for a pilot, the episode was even shown in selected theatres.

The home of the Black family, the big yellow house, is a place of safety for Frank Black. Here he can provide his family with a normal life and keep them away from the dark world outside, at least he thinks he can. If you watch the show closely you will notice, that all the scenes, that play in or around the yellow house, have a certain golden glow, while the scenes in the real world have washed out colours.

Mark uses the main theme from "MillenniuM" to create a haunting variation for the introduction of the yellow house. His soft and moody string pads, combined with the solo violin, create a place of peace, but also underlines the darkness waiting outside.

The tracks are taken from the first volume of music from "MillenniuM", released by La-La Land Records. It was released in 2008 and sold out shortly after. In 2015, the volume was re-issued, limited to 1.000 copies.

Enjoy!

Very proud to say that I have this CD, and as usual appreciate your post.  Thank you again Alex.

I just noticed that I am missing track 3 of Millennium Season 1 Promo, and I can only assume that it's title is "Pilot" since 2,4, and 5 are also titled "Pilot."  I haven't a clue how to extract only one track from the CD.  Only thing I can think of is deleting it and ripping it again.  How does this happen?  It's missing in both Windows Media Player, and My Music folder.  In the folder, "Best of Millennium" I have in parenthesis the following, and have confused myself ~ (03 Soundtrack from

Is this track the same as the one I am missing?

• Elders (Moderators)

The third track from the season one promo is just the End Titles version of the MillenniuM theme. On the LLL CD it is track 26 from disc one.

Snow Files of the Week: "Overlooking Tradition/The Challenge/Chain Gang" from "Harsh Realm" (1999).

The short-lived Chris Carter show of course also had a musical score by Mark Snow. His approach was more industrial than on the other Carter shows "The X-Files" and "MillenniuM". But nevertheless he wrote some very haunting tunes for that show, too.

The score was released on CD by La-La-Land Records, paired with Mark's music for the X-Files spin-off "The Lone Gunmen". The CD is now sold out.

Enjoy!

Loved the show and was so disappointed when it was cancelled, and before the end of season 1.  As usual, Mark's music is awesome, and proud to say that I am one of the owners of the CD.

Again, thank you Alex.  :notworthy:

• Elders (Moderators)

After listening to the last clip, with great pleasure, and then reading Earthnut's post, I remembered that I probably had that CD somewhere here. Fortunately, it wasn't difficult to find as I had put it with the other (very few) CDs I have. As I was doing other computer-wrangling stuff, I added the transfer-to-iPod on my list of things to do. For some reason, I have never found that task easy to do. But I prevailed, and succeeded.

I think the most fascinating thing about Mark Snow's music is that he can encompass, with apparent ease, all of the nuances involved in 1013 episodes, on all three shows. The emotional range is huge. I don't think many modern-day composers could achieve what Mark Snow does.

Thanks for the clips, Alex.

On 6/15/2016 at 2:56 PM, Libby said:

After listening to the last clip, with great pleasure, and then reading Earthnut's post, I remembered that I probably had that CD somewhere here. Fortunately, it wasn't difficult to find as I had put it with the other (very few) CDs I have. As I was doing other computer-wrangling stuff, I added the transfer-to-iPod on my list of things to do. For some reason, I have never found that task easy to do. But I prevailed, and succeeded.

I think the most fascinating thing about Mark Snow's music is that he can encompass, with apparent ease, all of the nuances involved in 1013 episodes, on all three shows. The emotional range is huge. I don't think many modern-day composers could achieve what Mark Snow does.

Thanks for the clips, Alex.

Libby, it's not just the 1013 shows, Mark Snow has been a genius with every movie he's written the score for.  I wanted to post the list, but it was so long that I thought it best just to post the link to IMDb, and you can scroll through them yourselves.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006296/

MV5BMTIzODAwOTM2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzM1

Date of Birth 26 August 1946Brooklyn, New York, USA
Birth Name Martin Fulterman

Mini Bio (1)

Mark Snow became a good friend with Michael Kamen while they were studying music at New York's Art and Music High School. After graduation, they became roommates at Julliard (an elite music school). After studying at Julliard, he became very fond of pop music. He, Michael Kamen and 3 others formed the New York Rock'n'Roll ensemble. The band was signed to Atlantic Records and Mark toured and recorded with them for 5 years. His interest then turned in writing film and television scores. He began to write and relocated to Los Angeles in 1974. Mark's musical composition career began in 1975 with the TV series, Starsky and Hutch (1975), and has taken off since then. However, he is best known for his work on The X-Files (1993) and Millennium (1996), he has made music for many other programs. He took piano lessons at age ten and, by the time he was twenty, he played both oboe and percussion.

- IMDb Mini Biography By: CBoman@netlane.com

Spouse (1)

Mary Glynn Daly (5 July 1980 - present) (3 children)

Trade Mark (1)

often wears Baseball hats

Trivia (5)

His wife, Glynn, is the sister of actors Tim Daly and Tyne Daly.
He has 3 daughters: Nora and the twins Megan and Sara Fulterman (b. 1971).
For The X-Files (1993) soundtrack release in 1996 ("Songs in the Key of X"), Mark Snowcreated an extended version of the main theme. It was released in Europe as a single (which was rather successful) with an accompanying music video. For unknown reasons, this video was not included as an extra feature on any of the video releases or the DVD season sets.
Son-in-law of James Daly and Hope Newell.
His '"The X-Files' (1993)' main theme song was often used as a background music in '"Muñeca brava' (1998)' Argentinian television series.

Personal Quotes (1)

When they go 'and the EMMY goes to...' I'll just stand up. (about being nominated 15 time for the EMMY but never winning)

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you, Darlene and Libby. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "Grow up Superboy/Ferris Wheel" from "Smallville" (2001).

The show ran for ten seasons, but after season 6, Mark left the show and his former music editor Louis Febre took over for the remaining three seasons. It was Mark's decision, since he was so busy doing the music for "Smallville" and "Ghost Whisperer" at the same time, with additional movies in between (like the second X-Files movie in 2008), that he just wanted to have more time with his family.

The music for "Smallville" shows Mark again as a master of haunting themes and melody. His distinctive sound is easy to recognize. A digital album was released with music from the show, before La-La-Land Records released a 2-CD-Set, containing all tracks from the digital album, as well as a second CD with even more music from the show. It also has tracks by Louis Febre from the later seasons. The CD is limited to 3000 copies.

Enjoy!