Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

Oh my, how I love this album, and listen to it often.  Thank you Alex.

I show 28 tracks on my computer, so I am sure I have both discs.  However, the titles,  "George is thinking/Life is so strange," are separated, tracks 6 and 11.  I don't remember where I got my copy, but I know I didn't get it from France.  Well, curiosity got the best of me and I got up and looked.  Mine is a downloaded copy, so there's no telling where it came from.

Playing it now and loving it.  You just made my day.  :23:

• Elders (Moderators)

The 2-CD-set consists of two scores, "Les Herbes Folles" and "You ain't seen nothing yet". "Les Herbes Folles" has 28 tracks, "You ain't seen nothing yet" has 29 tracks.

Snow Files of the Week: "Cortege" (1999/2002) from the "Cold Spring" sampler "The Chamber".

Here we have a very rare occasion, where Mark didn't compose for a movie or a tv series. The track "Cortege" was supposed to be an appetizer for an all non-movie album called "Death...be not proud", consisting entirely of new compositions by Mark.

The release date was set for spring of 1999, there was even a tracklist (Intonation, Cortege, If Hitler Had Autism, Mr Jones, Quietude and Colonel Parkinson). But apparently, that never happened, at least I coulnd't find anything concerning the album. It's not even listed on the label's website. The only thing, that was released, seems to be this track.

The track shows Mark in his dark ambient mode. This is for all those dark-and-moody-loving X-Files fans.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from "Millennium - Season Two" (1997/98).

Chris Carter essentially left the show after season one, due to arguments with FOX and because he had his hands full producing the first X-Files movie. He gave his showrunner status to James Wong and Glen Morgan, who already wrote and produced several X-Files episodes, Carter remained as Executive Producer nevertheless.

The second season not only has the much loved christmas episode "Midnight of the Century", but also the much anticipated Halloween episode "The Curse of Frank Black". Both are represented in this suite, which contains music from the first volume of MillenniuM music, re-released in 2015 by La-La Land Records, limited to 1.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Harold & Chrissy/Closure", from "The X-Files", episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" (1996).

To celebrate the release of The X-Files Volume 3 we dug deep in the archive and brought this little gem back into the light. "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is one of the wackiest episodes of season three. Written by Darin Morgan, it takes the pillars of the show and turns them upside down in a way. Is the truth really out there? And if so, who's truth is it?

"Harold & Chrissy" opens the episode, when two teenagers are abducted by aliens. This event sets off a string of even stranger events, before Jose Chung comes to the conclusion, that maybe we aren't alone in the universe, but on this planet, in our own separate ways, we are all alone. This final scene is scored with one of the most beautiful themes, that Mark has written for the show, "Closure".

This piece of music also closes the over thirty minutes long suite of X-files music, that is featured on the sampler "The Snow Files". But in the suite, it has been altered slightly, with a choir added to the mix.

The music from "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" also appeared completely on a promotional CD, that was meant as a FYC CD for the Emmys.

These two tracks were released on the first volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records. This volume was re-released after the first sell out by La-La Land Records, limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

Jose Chung comes to the conclusion, that maybe we aren't alone in the universe, but on this planet, in our own separate ways, we are all alone. This final scene is scored with one of the most beautiful themes, that Mark has written for the show, "Closure".

Totally agree with Jose and you.  Thanks again Alex.

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "A Cop for the Killing" (1990).

This is a tv movie from the "In the Line of Duty" series. These were movies based on real events, produced in the 1980's and early 1990's. Mark Snow composed to several of them a score in his trademark electronic style. It might have been music from these movies, that got Mark the job on The X-Files, since a piece of score from the "In the Line of Duty" movie "Street War" was also put into the X-Files episode "Gender Bender" from the first season.

Intrada released a CD with scores from the "In the Line of Duty" movies, composed by Mark Snow, in the early 1990's. This CD is out of print, but still can be found for very reasonable prices. It features music from "Mob Justice", "The Twilight Murders", "Street War" and "A Cop for the Killing", each put together as a musical suite.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you, Darlene. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "Main Title/Double Wide/Unplugged at Bishop Flats" from the movie "Disturbing Behavior" (1998).

After "Scream" became a worldwide success, countless teenager horror movies entered the theatres. While "Disturbing Behavior" wasn't a slasher movie, it perfectly matches the wave of genre movies at the end of the 90's.

The movie was directed by David Nutter, who also directed the first two episodes of the first season of "MillenniuM". So he was no stranger to the music of Mark Snow. Mark composed a very dark and ambient score for the movie, with some haunting tunes in between.

The score was released on CD with the movie and the album is still around for reasonable prices.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from "MillenniuM - Season Three" (1998/99).

October 25th this year doesn't only mark the release of the third volume of X-Files music, but also the 20th anniversary of MillenniuM.

Despite the dark and apocalyptic ending of season two, "MillenniuM" came back for one more year and so did Mark Snow. While the violin is still the main instrument within Mark's score, he added some pretty cool things to his music for the final season. There are the heavenly choirs in "Omerta", the haunting piano piece for Agent Emma Hollis and the dark and brooding ambient music for the final episode.

La-La Land Records put out two sets of music from the show. The first volume was released in 2008 and was sold out two years later. In 2015 the set got another release, together with the second volume. Both sets are still available at La-La Land Records.

Enjoy!