Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)
On 12/30/2019 at 6:23 PM, seesthru said:

My condolences as well, SadEyes, on the loss of your father.  I know,  the hole in life is very deep when  we lose  a parent.  They ground us, keep us safe,  and it's  a harsher world without them.

Thank you, seesthru. ❤️

• Like 2

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Main Title/Phil Checks Out/Memories of Caroline/Graveyard" from the tv thriller "Caroline at Midnight" (1994).

Mark shows his film noir style in this score. Over the main theme, which was also used by Mark in the X-Files episode "3" from season two, soars a haunting saxophone. This track might remind the listener of the main theme from "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" by Angelo Badalamenti. Both themes have a very similar feeling to it. Overall, Mark's score has some Jazz elements, as well as his trademark dark and brooding soundscapes.

The score was released by Dragon's Domain Records on "The Mark Snow Collection Volume Two", paired with his score for "Seduced and Betrayed". The CD is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Oh how I love the sound of a sax.

And I also get all warm and fuzzy inside when I hear a trumpet since my father played one.

Beautiful and haunting at the same time, and what a combination that is.  Mark Snow is a genius.

Thanks Alex.  :23:  :hug:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Bloody Jacuzzi/Old Files/Blood/Blood In The Loaf/Just Ashes And Bones" from The X-Files, episode "3" (1994).

The father, the son and the unholy spirit. Three dark figures, maybe vampires, are on a killing spree. The episode begins with an elder businessman, who is seduced by a mysterious woman in his house in the Hollywood Hills, while there are fires burning in the canyon, illuminating the dark night. The track "Bloody Jacuzzi" again shows Mark as a master of beautiful piano themes. He also used this theme for the tv movie "Caroline at Midnight" from the same year.

Mulder is investigating this case alone, since Scully was abducted the episode before. She now has become an X-File herself, as Mulder puts her file into the X-Files drawer ("Old Files").

One remarkable thing concerning this episode's music is the fact, that Mark uses the beginning of the X-Files theme here and there throughout the score. The theme itself is not featured that heavily in Mark's music for the show, so it's a special thing every time it is.

The tracks are from the third volume of X-Files music, released by La-La Land Records. The set is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Main Title/Lucky Me/Back Home/By The Pool/Want To Take A Shower" from the tv movie "Seduced and Betrayed" (1995).

In the early 90's BASIC INSTINCT hit the theatres and became almost immediately a modern classic. It was a huge comeback for erotic thrillers and in the years that followed many movies wanted to be like it. This is also true for the music, composed by the great Jerry Goldsmith, that influenced the thriller genre for years to come. When SEDUCED AND BETRAYED came around in 1995, it more or less tried to imitate the sexual undertones. And it is pretty obvious that Jerry Goldsmith's score was used as a temp track, before Mark began working on the movie. His main theme is pretty much a slightly different arrangement of Goldsmith's theme. But for the rest of the movie Mark came up with his more mellow and harmonic style.

The main theme was featured on the sampler "The Snow Files". The score was released, paired with CAROLINE AT MIDNIGHT, on "The Mark Snow Collection Vol.2" by Dragon's Domain Records. The CD is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Prologue/Main Title/The Boys Find The Cave/The Kiss/Happy Ending" from the tv movie THE LITTLE KIDNAPPERS (1990).

For this Disney Channel production Mark again could get his hands on an orchestra. The "Main Title" begins with a solo flute and transforms into a wonderful, soaring piece of music. The theme presented here also makes its way into the rest of the score, with happy child adventures music like "The Boys Find The Cave". The score again shows Mark's abilities to create memorable music outside of the X-Files universe.

The score was released, together with Mark's music for IN THE LINE OF DUTY: SMOKE JUMPERS, on the "Mark Snow Collection Volume 1" by Dragon's Domain Records. The CD is limited to 500 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Spirit Wedding" from "The X-Files", episode "Kaddish" (1997).

This season four episode deals with the murder of a member of the Jewish community in Brooklyn. When he comes back to life as the mythological Golem, he hunts down and kills the group of racists, that murdered him.

The track "Spirit Wedding" plays during the showdown of the episode. The two agents follow the Golem to the synagogue to find his widow and the creature exchanging wedding vows. After a fight, the widow declares her love for her murdered husband and returns the creature to dust.

Mark composed a love theme, that is heard several times during the episode. He also used a kind of strange flute sound to accompany the appearances of the Golem.

The track was released on the first volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records, limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 1