Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow File of the Week: "Love Theme (aka "Rose's Theme")/Memories" from "Conundrum".

While still working on the second season of the X-Files, Mark Snow composed the score for this 1995 tv thriller. It's got some of Mark's familiar X-Sounds, combined with haunting female vocals.

The album was released by Buysoundtrax Records, limited to 1000 copies.

Enjoy!

On 2/22/2020 at 6:42 AM, Darth Paul said:

Mark Snow's ability to make me feel music is extraordinary. At first I thought it was because I had a particular scene in a show to associate it with but that's not always the case. The piece from Night Sins above is really good and I've never even heard of that show.

You haven't heard of Night Sins and I never saw it.  Hope to someday.

Yes, Mark's music is extraordinary, and captivating.  I could listen to him all day.  He's a genius!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Earthnut said:

You haven't heard of Night Sins and I never saw it.  Hope to someday.

Yes, Mark's music is extraordinary, and captivating.  I could listen to him all day.  He's a genius!

That he is. 

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Joey's End/The Morning After/Evidence/Phone Call" from the tv thriller "Caroline at Midnight" (1994).

Mark shows his film noir style in this score. The main theme was also used by Mark in the X-Files episode "3" from season two. Overall, Mark's score has some Jazz elements, as well as his trademark dark and brooding soundscapes.

The score was released by Dragon's Domain Records on "The Mark Snow Collection Volume Two", paired with his score for "Seduced and Betrayed". The CD is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

Wow, was sitting here listening and multitasking, then poof, I felt like something was wrong.  The track ended, and it was so relaxing that I literately forgot I was listening to it.  Mark goes beyond genius.

Thank you Alex.  :23:  :hug:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Our Love/Notions/Midnight Rendez-Vous" from "You ain't seen nothing yet (Vous n´avez encore rien vu, 2012).

This french movie marked the third collaboration between Mark and director Alain Resnais. The movie is much like a stage play, but nevertheless very magical and touching.

Whilst Mark's score for "Private Fears in Public Places", the first Snow-Resnais-Collaboration, was very much butchered in the final movie, it was way better in "Wild Grass" and "You ain't seen nothing yet". Snow's music is as magical and tragic, as the movie is and together they create some very touching moments.

Fans will recognize the violin sound from "MillenniuM" at once, although it was replaced in the movie with a real violin player, at least at the end of the movie. The score got a digital release and a very limited release as a 2-CD-Set (together with "Wild Grass") in France.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Ice Cubes/Dan to the Rescue/Hit and Run/No One Ever Leaves Me/Victoria's Madness" from the tv movie "Seduced and Betrayed" (1995).

In the early 90's BASIC INSTINCT hit the theatres and became almost immediately a modern classic. It was a huge comeback for erotic thrillers and in the years that followed many movies wanted to be like it. This is also true for the music, composed by the great Jerry Goldsmith, that influenced the thriller genre for years to come. When SEDUCED AND BETRAYED came around in 1995, it more or less tried to imitate the sexual undertones. And it is pretty obvious that Jerry Goldsmith's score was used as a temp track, before Mark began working on the movie. His main theme is pretty much a slightly different arrangement of Goldsmith's theme. But for the rest of the movie Mark came up with his more mellow and harmonic style.

The main theme was featured on the sampler "The Snow Files". The score was released, paired with CAROLINE AT MIDNIGHT, on "The Mark Snow Collection Vol.2" by Dragon's Domain Records. The CD is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Overlooking Tradition/The Challenge/Chain Gang" from "Harsh Realm" (1999).

The short-lived Chris Carter show of course also had a musical score by Mark Snow. His approach was more industrial than on the other Carter shows "The X-Files" and "MillenniuM". But nevertheless he wrote some very haunting tunes for that show, too.

The score was released on CD by La-La-Land Records, paired with Mark's music for the "X-Files" spin-off "The Lone Gunmen". The CD is sold out!

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "My beautiful airplane/Love Comfort/That's Melancholy" from "Les Herbes Folles (aka "Wild Grass", 2009)".

The movie marked the second collaboration between Alain Resnais and Mark Snow (after "Private Fears in Public Places"), two more would follow. The score is melancholic, supporting the beautiful and sometimes strange movie perfectly. The album is available digital and got a very limited release on double CD (together with the third Resnais/Snow collaboration "You ain't seen nothing yet") in France.

Enjoy!