Scariest Millennium Episode

Rate this topic

Guest Frank L.

Scariest MillenniuM episode  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest AD Skinner

I thought about this a lot actually and ended up voting for the Pilot. I was toying with going for Lamentation, but the thing is, the whole concept of being buried alive scares the hell out of me, and the moment when Frank and Bob find that guy in the coffin and the condition he is in is probably an intense a piece of television I have ever seen.

Edited by AD Skinner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, David posted this in 2009 and no one has replied since. A Frank an Lara love story really must have scared everyone off.

It would never have lasted because Frank has always been so deeply in love with Catherine. With Lara, it would probably be based on sex only. Not that sex is a bad thing, but those relationships never last. Oh well.

Guest notbadforahuman

I know! I was perusing the earlier pages of threads and there are some real gems in there.... some of which haven't been replied to in years!

• 2 weeks later...

They did have chemistry and I say this as an admirer of Lara's so I'm not bery objective.....but......I fail to see how anyone around someone like Lara Means could not develop some chemistry with her. I'm not saying it would have been reciprocated but she was a very beautiful, very enigmatic and very funny lady.

As for the scariest episode - it changes for me from season to season but Lamentation still leaves me cold. I watched it again recently and the Lucy Butler/Bob Bletcher scenes were absolutely chilling. Kudos to the Bill and to Sarah for injecting so much dread and malice into them.

I'd be curious to know why you consider Jose Chung as a potential for the title? Do share your views.

Eth

Honestly? Well it's a bit of a joke, but seeing a tan, smiling, wisecracking Frank Black scared the bejesus out of me! I did enjoy the Scientology send-up and Gebblehouse buying into some of it was cool, but this episode was just SO not Millennium.

Ah I see. I have to agree, it is a real jolt to the senses as far as Millennium episodes go but for yours truly it was a welcome one. In essence the episode serves as a humorous critique of the show. Darin Morgan takes a lot of the shows conventions and either parodies them or pokes fun at them. It's always a risky thing to do but the X-Files did this on a number of occasions and I guess it was felt worth the risk to try it with Millennium.

I know Glen Morgan was unsure about letting Darin write for the show. He didn't think his style would fit the format at all but I think he got it just right. It's a good balance between off the wall humour and not straying too far from the intention of the show.

Eth

• 3 weeks later...

I know exactly what Darin Morgan was trying to do, and he executed it exactly as he intended... but I think pushing through on the script was a mistaken judgment on Glen's part. Things that significantly depart from a show's (human) essence can only be appreciated when a show has been on for a significant period of time.

Midway through the sophomore year of a cult favorite yet to attract a large mainstream audience, and that had just had a major sea-change at the beginning of the season hasn't yet defined itself enough to justify playing with its conventions. It's like Joss Whedon said about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, " You can't just put on the air an episode like "The Body" (the episode where Buffy's mother dies and every excruciating real-life detail is experienced). It has to be earned."

The comic send-ups were more successful on the X Files, I believe, because it was a more established show and people knew what the conventions were that were being played with. The die-hards like you and I knew the conventions being played with, but imagine you'd just got a buddy to catch Millennium by telling him about this dour, serious, super-profiler Frank Black and the way he doggedly pursues dark truths, only to have your friend catch Jose Chung and wonder what was up with this show about a bunch of adults wearing silly-looking knee britches and guest-starring Charles Nelson Riley?