The Judge

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

From what I have heard, foreign directors, especially Japanese, Italian and sometimes French, really go a lot further over the line than many American directors, and while I can't imagine them going much further than our own Clive Barker, I think the realism of their stuff is what really makes it disturbing, especially when it is being shown as a part of normal everyday existence, as opposed to people being attacked by alien creatures or something.

Did the train derail here somewhere? What started out as a decent discussion of The Judge has digressed into foreign snuff films, Clive Barker, and various other sundry issues...LOL....

way back when, I agree with you MIB on your assessment of The Judge...it is the first episode where we are introduced to Legion, as brilliantly portrayed by Marshall Bell. The hubristic and presumptuous nature of his character, in particular during his one on one talk with Frank was wonderful.."And if I'm hard to reach, well, dont make the conventional assumptions"...what a great line...

Also, if you are familiar with the Biblical reference of Mark 5:13 - "And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.", this episode falls somewhat in line with the Judge actually being consumed by the herd of swine he had penned up at his ranch.

The only significant issue i have with The Judge is that during the conversation Legion has with Frank at the station, he actually gets the quote above backwards...

Judge: "When Jesus of Nazareth expelled demons

from a herd of enchanted hogs, story has it that

the demons told him their name was `Legion.' How

would you like to work for me?"

The actual biblical quote can be found in Mark 5:9-13

4th Horseman....

Guest SouthernCelt
Also, if you are familiar with the Biblical reference of Mark 5:13 - "And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.", this episode falls somewhat in line with the Judge actually being consumed by the herd of swine he had penned up at his ranch.

4th Horseman....

Not in reference to anything stated in this thread but something I've noted that a lot of people forget or fail to consider (you do though in your sig line with every post) is that Legion was a collective of MANY demons and cannot necessarily be dealt with as a single entity. I think it is implied by the scripture that only the Son of God had the power on Earth to deal with Legion as a collective single entity and even He could only banish them from 'infecting' a human and not separate them from the collective or destroy their existence. I think it's also implied by the choice of the term 'Legion' for the collective that the number of individual demons was so great that they were practically uncountable. If you remember a 'legion' was a fairly large military unit of Roman soldiers although I don't what the accepted number of individuals in a legion is considered to be.

Not in reference to anything stated in this thread but something I've noted that a lot of people forget or fail to consider (you do though in your sig line with every post) is that Legion was a collective of MANY demons and cannot necessarily be dealt with as a single entity. I think it is implied by the scripture that only the Son of God had the power on Earth to deal with Legion as a collective single entity and even He could only banish them from 'infecting' a human and not separate them from the collective or destroy their existence. I think it's also implied by the choice of the term 'Legion' for the collective that the number of individual demons was so great that they were practically uncountable. If you remember a 'legion' was a fairly large military unit of Roman soldiers although I don't what the accepted number of individuals in a legion is considered to be.
SC - I have always referred to Legion as "many"..."My name is Legion, for we are many"...2,000 is the number in the Bible of the demons cast out by Jesus, which also corresponds to a Roman legion which is approximately 3,000-5,000 soldiers if i recall.

4th Horseman..

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Did the train derail here somewhere? What started out as a decent discussion of The Judge has digressed into foreign snuff films, Clive Barker, and various other sundry issues...LOL....

way back when, I agree with you MIB on your assessment of The Judge...it is the first episode where we are introduced to Legion, as brilliantly portrayed by Marshall Bell. The hubristic and presumptuous nature of his character, in particular during his one on one talk with Frank was wonderful.."And if I'm hard to reach, well, dont make the conventional assumptions"...what a great line...

The only significant issue i have with The Judge is that during the conversation Legion has with Frank at the station, he actually gets the quote above backwards...

Judge: "When Jesus of Nazareth expelled demons

from a herd of enchanted hogs, story has it that

the demons told him their name was `Legion.' How

would you like to work for me?"

The actual biblical quote can be found in Mark 5:9-13

4th Horseman....

Horseman, in response to your first question, it's that darn L@the of Heaven guy. He just has to make everything about gore or he isn't happy. LOL, sorry L@the, I couldn't resist. Just some good natured ribbing there buddy :oneeyedwinK . Yes, I agree Horseman, the Judge was a perfectly written and acted character, and Marshall Bell really had some incredible dialogue to work with. What an excellent job of casting this was, but then again, that could probably be said for almost every episode. Oh, and thank you for the additional biblical insight as well. It's amazing that you are able to retain all of this biblical information and then to have it at your disposal for discussion purposes. It really adds a unique perspective to the board, and to be honest, a lot of it flies right over my head. I don't say this to be sarcastic or anything like that, but do you have a masters degree in Theology?

I don't say this to be sarcastic or anything like that, but do you have a masters degree in Theology?

MIB - I know you aren't being sarcastic...in answer to your question...No..i do not have any kind of degree in Theology...my experience with the Bible comes from years of Bible study classes, both at my parents house (twice a week) when i was much younger, and then later on, when i was an active member of my church, every Monday night.

I found that thru those years, that i was attracted mostly to the prophectic nature of the Bible..I developed a fairly good grasp of its entire nature, but focused after some time on the chapters that dealt primarily with prophecy, Revelation, Daniel, etc...

4th Horseman.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Ahh, OK Horseman, so it sounds like you learned about the bible the old fassioned way. I have to say, some of that stuff is very fascinateing, and one of the many wonderful ingredients that make up Millennium. By the way, when I click to reply to one of your messages on the board, I get an error that says "URL can't be found". Today is the first day I have ahd any problems like that. When I click to reply to a message from any of the other members, the text window and quote come up like they normally do. Strange, just thought I would let you know in case anyone else runs across the same problem.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Ahh, OK Horseman, so it sounds like you learned about the bible the old fassioned way. I have to say, some of that stuff is very fascinateing, and one of the many wonderful ingredients that make up Millennium. By the way, when I click to reply to one of your messages on the board, I get an error that says "URL can't be found". Today is the first day I have ahd any problems like that. When I click to reply to a message from any of the other members, the text window and quote come up like they normally do. Strange, just thought I would let you know in case anyone else runs across the same problem.

Um..., could we please get back to the Japanese Schoolgirls...?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Um..., could we please get back to the Japanese Schoolgirls...?

L@the, shame on you. Is gore and sex all you can think about. :oneeyedwinK

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
L@the, shame on you. Is gore and sex all you can think about. :oneeyedwinK

Oh boy, this is EXACTLY what I deserve for originally trying to place YOU in this position! I must admit, NEVER has anyone turned the tables so bloody successfully on me :bigsmile: Well done! I liked your earlier comment how you slickly said something like, 'Ah, now it becomes clear what L@the is all about, just give him hard core gore and a few Japanese Schoolgirls and he's good to go!' Geez :nope: What a guy! I gotta hand it to you...

Nooooooo... I catagorically and humbly deny all charges! (well, except for the Japanese Schoolgirls..., but ONLY clothed, in moderation, and very tastefully done [notice, I said 'tasefully' NOT 'tastily'! :tasty: ]

So anyway..., back to 'THE JUDGE'...

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Oh boy, this is EXACTLY what I deserve for originally trying to place YOU in this position! I must admit, NEVER has anyone turned the tables so bloody successfully on me :bigsmile: Well done! I liked your earlier comment how you slickly said something like, 'Ah, now it becomes clear what L@the is all about, just give him hard core gore and a few Japanese Schoolgirls and he's good to go!' Geez :nope: What a guy! I gotta hand it to you...

Nooooooo... I catagorically and humbly deny all charges! (well, except for the Japanese Schoolgirls..., but ONLY clothed, in moderation, and very tastefully done [notice, I said 'tasefully' NOT 'tastily'! :tasty: ]

So anyway..., back to 'THE JUDGE'...

LOL, now a categorical denial, what are we going to do with you L@the. :oneeyedwinK I did NOT, however, know that we were talking about fully clothed school girls, so I will have to retract my "sex fiend" comments.