MillenniuM Referrences to The X-Files

Rate this topic

Guest Wellington

Hi and welcome!

Indeed you are right! That whole scene was so funny. They really were on the loose for this one. It was a really good thing they jumped onto the occasion to make it far from subtle, a true joke. Then again, as Fox was the target... :wink_big:

Regards

Guest Polaroid Stalker

I'm surprised that the Psycho didn't catch this one...

In "Jose Chung's 'Doomsday Defense,'" the Selfosophist spokesman, a guy called Robbinski, mentions the work of actor "Bobby Wingood." As he talks, he gestures to two posters -- both of whom reveal David Duchovny holding a gun and grinning like a deranged idiot.

Guest Second Coming
I liked how in "Somehow Satan got behind me" that when they showed "mulder and scully" doing that alien autopsy. They changed the music just a little bit, and somehow it was funny. i dunno how to explain it. but i cracked up.

I'm surprised that the Psycho didn't catch this one...

In "Jose Chung's 'Doomsday Defense,'" the Selfosophist spokesman, a guy called Robbinski, mentions the work of actor "Bobby Wingood." As he talks, he gestures to two posters -- both of whom reveal David Duchovny holding a gun and grinning like a deranged idiot.

:laugh_big:

Yes this is a funny scene... gotta love the "pseudo X-Files background score" featured in the scene!   :laugh_big:

Actually, I have spotted all of the winks/digs/in-jokes/scenes mentioned so far.  I had a few purposes in starting this thread.  One was to see how many other folks had spotted these in-jokes.  Another reason was that I wanted to hear peoples reactions to them, and what they thought of them.  I also wanted to see if anyone had spotted others that I had not spotted, or that I had not heard discussed before.  I love viewing and discussing these winks/digs.  They are always entertaining or exciting.

I know of 1 other occassion that momentarily featured Skully/Mulder (lookalikes) in the perifery.  Does anyone else know where it is... that is, what episode?  There is also a Skully (lookalike) periferal appearance.  Does anyone else know where this one is?  (From what I gathered the last time this was discussed, I was the only one to have spotted this solo Skully lookalike appearance! :thumbsup_big: ).

I am also wondering if anyone knows the X-Files featuring referrences/winks/digs to MillenniuM.  I am really not to familiar with this end of it.  I suppose such winks would have to be featured starting with Season 3 of TXFs.  I know that there is one episode, in particular that I think I remember Chris Carter refering to as part of the inspiration for MillenniuM.  It was the the one where Mulder works with his old mentor at the FBI to solve the murders of a serial killer that claims to some how be possessed by or compelled by a great evil.  The killer currently "obessed with" or "possessed with" the "Evil" is an artist who draws pictures of the Evil over and other again, and sees the image in everything.  The image looks strikingly like one or more of the images of what became the MLM Legion.  The theme and nature of the "Evil" featured in this episode is very similar to how "evil" is described by Frank Black.  It has an irresisble pulling, like gravity to those that can "see" or are touched by it.  It also seems to operate very similarly to the "evil" featured in MLM.  In the end, it turns out that the "evil" was actually operating through Mulders mentor, not the Artist that is captures and imprisioned for the murders.  Sort of like the "hidden and protected true evil behind the evil" that turns up in so many MLM episodes. Sort of like "evil is not always what it seems."

That is really one of the dark beauties of MLM.  Frank could really trust in no one except himself, Catherine, and Jordan, because not even "evil" could be trusted to behave as you would expect "evil" to behave!  And Frank never really knew where the evil truly lurked - except after the fact, or in ways that he could do nothing about.  BLANK!  The 1013 writers really new how to take the human condition, all our values, all our perceptions, and all our securities and turn them on their heads - then turn them inside out!  Quite brilliant, actually!

The episode you're refering to, featuring a pair of individuals who look remarkably like Agents Mulder and Scully, is the Chris Carter written "Lamentation."  To quote the description offered in the Abyss Frequently Asked Questions...

In the first season episode "Lamentation," Frank Black returned to the Behavioral Science Unit at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia. As he was talking to Peter Watts on a staircase outside the Unit's offices, two figures that seem to have an uncanny resemblance to Fox Mulder and Dana Scully can be seen walking down the stairs behind him. The actors who played these characters, in this particular scene, were not David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson but their stand-ins.

It's a blink and you'll miss it trick of the eye but for those who are willing to sit close to the screen and rewind their videotape a couple of times it really is a treat.  The long distance shot really does seem to be showing us Peter Watts and Frank Black just missing Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, paying no particular attention to one another.  I suppose some might consider this the first crossover blip.

Guest Wellington

Hi

As a MM reference in an X-F episode, I remember one featuring Lance as a broken-down character under psychiatry care, and he was even named Frank Black! It was an obscure story about zombies bringing the End... No wait! Wasn't that the final touch on MM?  :thumbsdown_big:  :angry_steaming_big:  :arghhh-big:

Rather think of it as a MM big cameo in X-F...

Regards

PS: sorry, could not resist the temptation... :angel:

Scott,

The X Files episode you were referring to... the "inspiration" for MillenniuM, was intitled "Grotesque".... and is one of my favorites! :thumbsup_big:

As for The X Files episode "MillenniuM", all I can say is... at least all us infatuated girls got to see Frank one last time, right, Denise? :wink_big:

~Raven Wolf :smokin: (Erin :devil01: )

Guest MSandt

I am also wondering if anyone knows the X-Files featuring referrences/winks/digs to MillenniuM.

There's this one episode from the fourth season called 'Never Again' where Scully gets Ouroboros tattoo - I think that was the last episode written by Morgan & Wong for The X-Files. Great episode by the way.