Ebola, what you're not being told

Rate this topic

Earthnut

• Elders (Moderators)

The inadequate responses to Ebola infections is only going to make people more anxious. It doesn't matter if the chances of catching Ebola is very, very low - it's the lack of confidence people have in the authorities to deal with small number of cases in the western world that is going to lead to over-reactions.

This is one over-reaction (but I do wonder if the guy is attention- or publicity-seeking):

https://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/local/dad-with-fear-of-ebola-keeps-daughter-away-from-school-1-6360030

Copy'n'pasted text, in case that website isn't available to people outside the UK:

A father worried about the spread of the Ebola virus is keeping his daughter off school after being told she could not wear a protective face mask.

Jon O’Brien, from Bedford, withdrew his 13-year-old from Sharnbrook Upper School when he was told it would be ‘unnecessary’ for her to wear a mask in class.

He said:“I emailed the school with the request and was told it would be unnecessary. What is unnecessary about a parent wanting to protect their child?”

The businessman and philanthropist said while there is no current case of Ebola in the UK, he believes it is only a matter of time until cases are reported – and the public should be prepared.

He said: “You can catch Ebola by being sneezed on. It’s in all bodily fluids. And now, we’re told there is a 70 per cent chance people in West Africa will die if they contract it.

“This is being played down by the Government because they don’t want mass hysteria.”

Mr O’Brien has bought 100 medical face masks for his family and is sceptical airport screening will prevent infected people entering the country. He said: “Asking people if they feel OK and taking their temperature is too little, too late. I’d say this is a lot more serious than our government says.”

While Mr O’Brien considers allowing his daughter to return to school, he hopes his action will encourage people to think seriously about the possibility of an epidemic in the UK. He said: “My employees are making jokes about Ebola. That is how stupid the general public can be.

“The school was unable to answer my questions. If my daughter is safe this week, she might not be next week.

“I don’t care if people think I am mad. If this happens, I will be ready to take it on.”

When contacted Sharnbrook Upper School said it did not want to comment. However, in an email sent to Mr O’Brien it stated: “We follow the advice we are given. At the moment there is no reported case in UK.

“There is no threat so the use of mask is unnecessary. Your daughter should attend as normal.”

Note: Bedford is the county town of Bedfordshire, a mostly rural county in the middle of England. It doesn't have any large cities; it does have an "International" airport in the far south of the county, but most commercial airports in the UK are described as "international" if it has scheduled flights from outside the UK, i.e. most of them.

Although I reckon this guy is a nutter, it makes me angry that he's basically mocking the very real fears that other people have.

I couldn't help but share an article written by a trained worker ~

Abby Norman, Healthcare Writer

I'm a Hazmat-Trained Hospital Worker: Here's What No One Is Telling You About Ebola
Ebola is brilliant.
It is a superior virus that has evolved and fine-tuned its mechanism of transmission to be near-perfect. That's why we're all so terrified. We know we can't destroy it. All we can do is try to divert it, outrun it.
I've worked in health care for a few years now. One of the first things I took advantage of was training to become FEMA-certified for hazmat ops in a hospital setting. My rationale for this was that, in my home state of Maine, natural disasters are almost a given. We're also, though you may not know it, a state that has many major ports that receive hazardous liquids from ships and transport them inland. In the back of my mind, of course, I was aware that any hospital in the world could potentially find itself at the epicenter of a scene from The Hot Zone. That was several years ago. Today I'm thinking, by God, I might actually have to use this training. Mostly, though, I'm aware of just that -- that I did receive training. Lots of it. Because you can't just expect any nurse or any doctor or any health care worker or layperson to understand the deconning procedures by way of some kind of pamphlet or 10-minute training video. Not only is it mentally rigorous, but it's physically exhausting.......

The article is titled ~

2 African countries free of Ebola; monitoring period over for 43 Texans
Today good news is announced ~
WHO: Nigeria's Ebola outbreak is officially over
AND
CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps team
AND
Texas hospital apologizes over handling of Ebola case
AND
Ebola fear ends for dozens on watch lists in United States

Now they are saying hospitals are having to brace as Ebola Panic and the flu season collide. Just imagine for a moment the number of people that will be living in fear. So sad.

And let's remember the dreaded virus that is killing children to add more panic to people's lives. I am so thankful my children are grown, but on the other hand, there's the concern over grandchildren...Yeesh...and in my case, I have a great grandchild, from my grandson, Stephen, the son of my deceased oldest son, Robert.

I imagine the next panic, "stampede" as Walkabout put it, will be zombies. They're already advertising zombie proof cabins ~

https://www.cnet.com/news/zombie-proof-log-cabin-has-10-year-anti-zombie-guarantee/

Couldn't get a URL of the images or save them to my computer. For whatever reason it saved the entire webpage. Sorry, just take a look because it will be worth your time going there. If nothing else, it will put a smile on your face.

They say the Tiger Lob Cabin's most notable feature is it comes with a 10-year anti-zombie guarantee.

The $113,000 (£69,995, about AU$129,000) price tag is for the kit only. It will cost you an additional $21,000 to add installation, $3,000 for security cameras and $5,600 for solar panels. Pricing is available on request for adding a water cannon, search lights or flame thrower to the package. There seems to be no option to add on a samurai sword, so you'll need to provide your own.

The caption to the first image is, "Just don't let the Governor come in." AND

The ZFC-1 is a log cabin kit designed with the walking dead in mind. The structure consists of three connected buildings. It comes stocked with reinforced slit windows, walls and doors; a barbed-wire surround; an escape hatch on top; and a living room with Xbox, TV and sound system. It comes with an arsenal storage unit to secure your anti-zombie weaponry. There's also a toilet system, garage, kitchen area with microwave and an upper deck with a full view all around so you can keep an eye out for the oncoming horde. A garden section means you won't have to take over an abandoned prison to start a small produce farm.