Standing up for the victims

I'm sure from the beginning that everyone knew there would be snags. High profile cases like this will always have them. But with a jury of 12 and 7 alternates, things are still okay. Here's hoping no more jurors are dismissed, but at the same time, if it is for the best, then it is what it is.

Love and prayers always dear Sis Angel.

• Like 1

today the prosecution rested their case at aprox. 2:30 MDT. the rest of the time will be between the judge , prosecution team and the defense team. it is possible the defense will ask for an acquittal claiming the prosecution has failed to prove its case. if denied by the judge , the defense will begin their case on Wednesday, 24 June 2015.

* after referencing Colorado state law, the judge has DENIED acquittal ! *

Edited by Walkabout

• 2 weeks later...

The defense is expected to rest on 7-8 July . Then rebuttal witnesses followed by closing arguments which will most of the day. They are projecting it will go to the jury 13th or 14th . If the reach a verdict on the 16th , that will be my Brother's birthday. Family member ther and back home are suppose to be given the verdict 3 hrs before it is announced to the public. Glad I have my anti anxiety meds.

here is a link to a story about those who died , many who saved those they were with and paid the ultimate price. WARNING : graphic pictures of the survivors and their stories. I am posting this to honor real life super heroes though they wore no mask or cape ... may they RIP and may their families find healing . https://deadline.com/2015/07/aurora-shooting-three-year-later-what-happened-inside-theater-1201460855/

• Like 1

here is a link to a story about those who died , many who saved those they were with and paid the ultimate price. WARNING : graphic pictures of the survivors and their stories. I am posting this to honor real life super heroes though they wore no mask or cape ... may they RIP and may their families find healing . https://deadline.com/2015/07/aurora-shooting-three-year-later-what-happened-inside-theater-1201460855/

Wish there were some easy way to post everything instead of a link, but I quoted it so everyone would see it at least twice and go to the page.

What a powerful statement ~ "...Honor real life super heroes though they wore no mask or cape."

Amen ! !

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

The next week or so is obviously going to be so very stressful for the victims' families. The judge appears to be scrupulous in following procedures correctly, and it's important for him to appear to be impartial, so it's very heartening that he's allowing the victims' families to be told of the verdict before it's made public (which is something I've never heard of happening before). That's probably the nearest he can get to showing sympathy for the victims and their families at this stage.

• Like 1

He's not allowed to show overt emotion during the trial etc... But I bet that judge feels inside, as horrified as the rest of us. So many heroes, so many survivors, so many victims. This shooter made sure to get the most damage done that he could. He devastated so many people. I know he has pled insanity, and his actions aren't the actions of a rational human being. But is he insane? He knew he would kill he told someone beforehand that he wanted to kill and when he did his life would be over. He planned this rampage and even rigged his apartment with explosives in order to cause more damage to anyone entering, and possibly to neighbors in the complex. He'd sought help at some point prior to the shootings.

So was this the downslide of someone sane going into paranoid schizophrenia ? I don't think so.

Was this someone with a type of mental illness that heard voices telling him to kill? I don't think so. Not enough info.

Was this someone sane? I don't know. I know that he was either going downhill and finally gave up fighting it, or this was a carefully planned event, planned long before he entered that theater. One can argue that no sane person could do this. However I believe the legal use of sanity means that he knew right from wrong. I believe he knew right from wrong when he committed this act. I believe that by the legal definition he was sane. I do believe insane people can have the wherewithal to plan things. But, the legal definition varies. I don't know all the facts.

All I know, is that this horrible event should never be forgotten, and that there need to be better interventions put in place. If a friend of mine said they wanted to kill people and I thought they were serious, I'd be looking into how I could find someone to stop that person, but today? It's almost impossible.

My heart goes out to the families and the survivors, the loved ones and the friends of the victims and the survivors, and yes, to the family of the shooter.

• Like 1

it seems Tuesday 14 July will be closing arguments including prosecution rebuttal after defense closing arguments. the shooter has decided NOT to testify which is his constitutional right . the defense will finish its case and then rest. the prosecution will then call rebuttal witnesses to refute testimony given by defense witnesses. After closing arguments on Tuesday the actual jurors will be separated from the alternate ones who will remain sequestered in another part of the courthouse. I expect the jury to take several days if only NOT to give the defense a reason for a retrial . that they did discuss the case and evidence once they retired.

as a family member I will be sent an email 3 hours before the public reading of the verdict . I can not share this but once it has been read publicly , I will post it here. then the sentencing phase will begin should we get a guilty but not insane verdict .