Worst Mm Episode....ever

Rate this topic

Guest MMawagen

Guest Laurent.

I don't know why, but I decided to give another chance to some of the worst episodes. So I first watched Human Essence and I realized that it isn't that bad... it's like a mediocre hybrid of Millennium and X-Files. The only really bad aspect of it is the writing of Frank's character. He just doesn't seem like himself, he's acting like a father toward Hollis instead of a mentor (like he did in the rest of the season), and his understanding and comprehensiveness of human nature are nowhere to be found.

Anyway, it's still Hand of Saint-Sebastian for me.

You must love Boston Legal... :)

Actually, I do like Boston Legal, but I view it as farce. Millennium I take much more seriously and I guess that's why it bothered me so much. Just the judge calling out in the middle of trial, "Is there a social worker in the house?" makes me cringe.

I understand why they did WWL, it gives Catherine some major screen time and gives Lance some needed relaxation. I also understand the need for a change of pace after the heavy bodycount through the first set of episodes. There are some excellently filmed portions of the episode such as the girl walking down the middle of the road in her nightgown in the dark, but most of the ep didn't grab me.

FWIW I think the 2nd season Catherine (and Lara) episode Anamnesis is loads better. For me at least it seemed to catch the 2nd Season Millennium flavor excellently even w/out Frank's presence.

• 8 months later...
Guest Privatepsychedelicreel

As a true fan of the show, i have to accept it entirely as it is. However, there were some episodes that had absolutely nothing to do with Millennium whatsoever. For instance, the first episode that doesn't "fit the profile" is "A Single Blade Of Grass": a weak story with no point, than "Borrowed time": is a "The outer limits" kind of episode, with Jordan as a fountain, once again, nothing to do with Millennium and finally, the most boring episode "Human Essence". Season 1 and 2 were the best of the show, but in season 3, it took a whole new other direction, different from the original concept. That is why season 3 is my least favorite.

Guest ZeusFaber

Season 2 took on a whole other direction to the original concept too, and while Season 3 is different once again, the argument could be made that it's closer to the original premise than the second year.

Absolutely agree with you on "A Single Blade of Grass" though.

Guest Privatepsychedelicreel

Season 2 took on a whole other direction to the original concept too, and while Season 3 is different once again, the argument could be made that it's closer to the original premise than the second year.

Absolutely agree with you on "A Single Blade of Grass" though.

Yes, I agree with you that season 2 was very different from the first year. The only thing i mislike is that, at the end of season 2, the Millennium Group got a whole other connotation here: i mean they turned into the bad guys, their involvement and purpose is unclear and it looks more like an ennemy to Frank Black to fight with. They should have continued with the original concept of the Group and its purpose. But still, the episodes were very exciting and watchable. From season 3 i liked very much "Closure" , "Through A Glass Darkly" , "The Sound Of Snow" , Thirteen Years Later" and "Omerta". "Borrowed Time" could have been also very good episode, but i did not get the message were all that water was coming from Jordan's body. It sounded more like a paranormal activity or science fiction and that's why this episode could have been instead a brilliant "The Outer Limits" or a "The X-files" episode and not a "Millennium" one.

I believe that inconsistencies by the writers in the episodes is what keeps us, the viewers, on our toes and not knowing what to expect next. If there weren't differences in the world we all would be bored to tears, especially with each other. The variety of the writers and their individual perceptions is one of the things that made MLM such a fantastic show. You could anticipate.

One of the main reasons I enjoyed "A Single Blade of Grass" is because it was about American Indian's beliefs, whether fabricated or not. Every religion has lost something of it's original foundation, and in so doing, many people have gone off in so many other directions (denominations, new church, etc.) that when the truth is revealed, they will eventually embarrass themselves. This episode is a perfect example of what is happening today, and will continue to happen, including someone's ultimate sacrifice for the cause.

I personally feel "Borrowed Time" was one of the better episodes for MLM. MLM is a very spiritual series and the subject of gifts, especially Frank's, has been around since day one. It showed Frank in a very vunerable state regarding Jordan, and the influence in our lives from the spirit realm, complete with a sacrifice. I totally disagree with it being more of an Outer Limits or X-Files episode. It is a Frank Black episode, just as Human Essence is an Emma episode. They are episodes about people instead of the group.

• Elders (Moderators)

QFT?

Checked on an AcronymFinder site:

Quantum Field Theory?

Quantitative Feedback Theory?

Quality Family Time?

aahh: Quoted for Truth.

Yet again, I learn something new here.:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RodimusBen
As a true fan of the show, i have to accept it entirely as it is. However, there were some episodes that had absolutely nothing to do with Millennium whatsoever. For instance, the first episode that doesn't "fit the profile" is "A Single Blade Of Grass": a weak story with no point, than "Borrowed time": is a "The outer limits" kind of episode, with Jordan as a fountain, once again, nothing to do with Millennium and finally, the most boring episode "Human Essence". Season 1 and 2 were the best of the show, but in season 3, it took a whole new other direction, different from the original concept. That is why season 3 is my least favorite.

I have to take issue with your assessment of "Borrowed Time." It is quite connected to the rest of the Millennium storyline, in these ways:

1. It directly references Jordan's illness in the first episode and its sudden abatement. That was a thread that had been dangling for a long time, and this episode explains that it was because Jordan was given "borrowed time."

2. It marks the return of Samiel. Whether you believe it is the same entity from "Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions" or not, the Sammael of "Borrowed Time" is clearly cut from the same supernatural cloth and meant to represent the same "side" of the higher forces that surround Frank's life.

3. It plays an important part of Frank and Jordan coming to terms with Catherine's death. Between this episode and "The Sound of Snow," both of them actually SEE Catherine.

I consider "Borrowed Time" an essential Millennium episode, and a riveting one at that.