This Week, on Millennium

Rate this topic

Whenever I rewatch Millennium (at least one full run through, every winter), I am always struck anew by just how great a show this was and is.

And whilst there are so many reasons for this, the real hook that gets me is Frank himself. Because as I've said so many times before, he is quite simply the most relatable, engaging and inspiring hero that I have ever seen. His moral authority, the fact that he cares so much about the state of society, despite how much it hurts and costs him, and the dignity he is able to keep through it all, as well as the strength to keep going.

He faces all the fears we have about our society and who we really are as people, he asks the difficult questions of others and himself, and he never stops trying to do all he can for anyone who needs him. As dark as Millennium gets, and as ugly as it shows the human condition to be capable of being, it always lifts me to see Frank and how much he cares.

It doesn't matter if I watch any given episode once or a million times - every time I watch, I want to believe he can make the difference. Because Lance's performances feel so real, that you feel it is actually happening then, at that very moment, the human spirit being tested and judged.

All these years later, so many times I've watched the series now, but it never has and will never disappoint, nor will I ever tire of it. Its the ultimate expression of 'Being happy through being sad' and its an experience that *always* feels like the first time.Because it lets me know in myself, just how much I care too. And that's something that gives me great peace, and the strength to carry on again.

Basically, the show means more to me than words can really say, but I think you all understand where I'm coming from. So here's to all of us experiencing Frank's journey again and again and again, and every time like its our very first time.

BEER----> Long time Moriarity. Your feelings here are the best synopsis that I have read. 'The Babe' (my wife) always asks me why I continue to rewatch 'MillenniuM', I think that I will put this to memory and repeat it to her.

BELCH

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Hey there, gang! The knights of the Millennial Round table gather once more!

The fact that this site goes on, and that we still keep the fire lit for the show after all this time, just shows the strength of feeling that this show inspired. Others may not know the show as we do or understand our love for it, but nobody who knows a Millennium fan, can doubt that our connection to the show is genuine, heartfelt and ever enduring.

Put two complete strangers in a room, let them find out that they both love Millennium, and it'll be like they've always known each other. We know who we are!

Great to hear from you guys again! Millennium forever!

This week on Millennium we saw Blood Relatives. Every time I see poor Mrs Cort get dragged into the grave I think X Files. Well in fact it turns out it isn't some supernatural fiend but a human one. I also thought they did a good job convincing me that James was the murderer. I don't think I caught on that it was really Connor until Frank seemed unconvinced. Then of course Connor seems a little too creepy to be not involved.

It's wonderful hearing from all of you guys, please keep it up.

BEER----> I agree with you totally.

BELCH

Moriarity, you really did write the best synopsis. It didn't seem to matter who else was a regular on the show or who was a guest, Frank Black ruled! He never once had to take second position. He was always the one we all looked forward to seeing again in the next episode. Yes, that's weird coming from someone who's favorite episode is Anamnesis. That episode was a big surprise. In defense, I have to say that Anamnesis was a unique and of course, stand alone episode without Frank, since it had just the women in it, and very easily could have been an episode from a different show altogether, yet it was still very much a part of MLM. Makes sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

This week on Millennium was going to be The Well Worn Lock. I say was because I tried to watch it but turned it off before it really got started. I have always liked the episode,and have watched it many a time,but I just had a feeling I would be depressed by the time it ended. Well Millennium has always been an emotional roller coaster,and even though I don't get depressed by Catherine's or Bletch's death,I couldn't do Millennium last night.Maybe I can deal with murderers better than abusers.

Don't feel bad. "The Well Worn Lock" is a DIFFICULT episode to watch. I have to admit to actually skipping it myself many times when doing a MM-run. It makes a fantastic stand, on an issue that most people don't like to discuss, or even think about, and I thought it a BOLD....BRAVE move on their part to tackle this issue, and do it in such a realistic fashion..... yet also still let the bad guy actually get caught. I won't say "let it have a happy ending", because there IS no happy ending to a horrible act such as this..... You just finally manage to move on.

Don't feel bad. "The Well Worn Lock" is a DIFFICULT episode to watch. I have to admit to actually skipping it myself many times when doing a MM-run. It makes a fantastic stand, on an issue that most people don't like to discuss, or even think about, and I thought it a BOLD....BRAVE move on their part to tackle this issue, and do it in such a realistic fashion..... yet also still let the bad guy actually get caught. I won't say "let it have a happy ending", because there IS no happy ending to a horrible act such as this..... You just finally manage to move on.

I agree, not a "happy" ending. But satisfying in that we see the survivor (not "victim") moving on with her life. Or rather, finally being able to HAVE a life. I always tear up at the end. Loved Paul Dooley's performance because he was SOOOOO cast against type and pulled it off effortlessly. He really gave me the heebee-geebees. And though some people don't like the ep because it focuses on Catherine, I thought it was nice to give Megan Gallagher a little more to do than she usually got. I also thought that it was a nice platform to see how Frank and Catherine support EACH OTHER in the marriage. That's what I liked about their relationship--they were equals.

I totally agree with all of the above instead of quoting. I too especially liked having Catherine in the spotlight. She really was a very important character on the show, and may I add, very misunderstood. In her own way, she too had abilities above and beyond others, seeing into people's soul realm of feelings and emotions, and then had the wisdom to know how to deal with it. I believe it went far beyond her training as a clinical social worker. She was grounded, down to earth, and saw life realistically. She kept Frank balanced, and this episode truly showed the depth of their love. She is definitely one of my favorite characters.

Yes, it is a difficult episode to watch, but at the same time, it's more realistic then most and a subject that needs to be addressed constantly since there is so much abuse going on in the world, and sometimes right there in our own home. I was fortunate that I was raised in a God loving and devoted home. My heart goes out to everyone who was raised in an abusive one.

I believe we live our lives in stages, and that this is on the job training, at the end of each stage, whether it ends happy or sad, we are to be over-comers. People say to forgive and forget. I believe that is wrong and impossible. The human mind wasn't created that way, it was created to remember everything to each person's ability. What we are to do is remember, forgive, and then let it go. Just like at the end when they are throwing the lock away, they are remembering, forgiving, and letting it go.

Awesome episode, one of the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Wide Open. This household always gives the dog a resounding cheer at the end,and makes me appreciate my two dogs. I do pity the fool that ever came on this property to cause trouble.The one thing that stuck out this time was how good the little girl that played Patricia was at being traumatized. Then again maybe she was.