A Single Blade of Grass

Rate this topic

One of the things I admire about Kay and Erin's writing is that they don't borrow, in entirety, from existing myths and legends but use them to inform new ones. They spoke about enjoying discovering 'forgotten things', myths and legends that aren't commonly know and then giving them a new lease of life within an episode. It's not uncommon for them to take numerous myths and amalgamate them into something new with a flavour and a hint of all of them (you can certainly see this in the case of "Anamnesis.") Had "Millennium" been rather more blatant and where it pitched it's mythology it would, in my opinion, have been too close to the X-Files. The fact that you are watching something with a speculative narrative but it isn't immediately identifiable with a particular myth, legend or paranormal phenomena is what makes Millennium a different beast from it's sister show IMHO.

Eth

• 8 months later...

In about 8 viewings over nearly 13 years, this ep was always one of my least favorites. So I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy watching it recently. Still a sub-par effort for season 2, imo, but I give it a solid 7/10 for the atmosphere and performances.

There's an interesting Glen Morgan quote on this one (which ethsnafu referred to earlier):

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/crew_interview.php?name=Glen%20Morgan&id=18

"Because there were groups of people who said, 'No, no, no, the show should be what it was last year,' I screwed up one of Erin and Kay's scripts," he explains. "I was trying to balance it out, but their script should have gone a whole new way. I just turned it into a mish-mash. You can't make two sides happy."

• 4 months later...
Guest roofless

I definitely cringe many times during this episode...especially when the archeologist says there are elements of all these native tribes... represented on the wall....and having the images look like amateur graffiti. It all looked sloppy and hurried and so few were identifiable. And despite the ringleader being Hopi...I could not ID any Hopi symbols!.....I probably should not nitpick too much and I've probably have lived on the reservation for too long.

I took Franks ingestion of the venom as a vehicle to turn his visions from a remote viewing/ historical clue tool...to a prophetic one...which was what the cult desired.

The only thing I liked about this ep. was the Bison running down the street unfortunately.....:confused:

It's one of those episodes that was never popular, but the more often I've watched it the more I like it, especially because of the presence of native American tribes. But have to agree with the way the show was presented, they could have done a better job. "Amateur graffiti" is a perfect way of describing it the images on the wall. Maybe if they thought it through longer it could have been more believable. Who knows.

Excellent insight regarding the venom.

I like this episode much better now then at first viewing. It just seemed to plod along more than many of the others. As for the symbols on the wall,I wouldn't know if it was real Native American or the artistic expression of some 15 year old gang member, so that didn't bother me.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges, but if Cass Doyle could draw such a complex artistic expression on the wall of her hospital room, you would think that these native American guys could put a little more "umf" in their artwork. Even Randall Jarrett looks like he put more effort into repainting Max Brunelli's bedroom!

As much as I like these types of episodes, it does take a really detailed and dedicated writer to flesh the ideas out and add believable background. That's assuming that the production team doesn't go and change things, which they apparently did on this episode in a big way. I still like this episode a lot.

:rock2:

• 6 months later...
Guest jandrew

Frank joins forces with an archeologist when the body of a recently-murdered Native American man is discovered amongst ancient remains.

The theme and story of this episode is a one of a kind. No where in the series is there another episode anywhere near this one; it is definitely unique. I do have to repeat myself when I say that they could have done a better job presenting it. For example, instead of having a circus in town and the animals at the end, I feel they would have been better off not having anything happen, leaving the native Americans hanging so to speak and questioning.

• Elders (Moderators)

I do like it when threads started years ago get bumped - that gives me the chance to look back through and see reactions to MM episodes over time.

I do agree, Earthnut, that this episode could have been presented better. There was too much going on, and the central theme should have been more than enough, and not have the "real life" explanation of the escaped animals as some kind of fulfillment of the prophecy. (And I still can't see the Dr Liz character as anything other than a Mary Sue, which is a major distraction.)

But, I guess my view of this episode has been changed over the years because I've been doing some reading up on the history of the USA recently, where there is more focus these days on the experiences of the Native Americans and more understanding of their culture.