FRANK BLACK RETURNS IN X FILES 2

Rate this topic

I think Ethsnafu is correct -- what constitutes true "closure" for "Millennium" is ultimately left to individual interpretation.

For some of the 1013 crew, closure only meant "final appearance in network TV."

Fortunately, many talented fans have responded and resurrected the characters through the virtual seasons and through some stellar fan fiction. A while back, my wife, who loves "Star Trek" even more than I do, noted the vast similarities between that show and "Millennium." Ran for three years in network TV, always had a small but loyal cult following, the material always transcended its original medium (TV) ...

Maybe, just maybe, we'll one day see a leap to the big screen a la "Star Trek."

(Of course, the hope is that the leap will be more "Wrath of Khan" than "ST V.")

Oh, I would love to see that! But I think Millennium is very dark for the most.

Edited by dizi

Guest Crusader

I doubt we'll see Lance reprise Frank Black in the upcoming X-Files movie. Given the rather enigmatic nature of Lances comments i wouldnt be suprised if he was told not to mention one way or another as Carter was planning to announce a Millennium film rather soon. Guess ill wait untill July 25th to find out

Guest Laurent.
i wouldnt be suprised if he was told not to mention one way or another as Carter was planning to announce a Millennium film rather soon.

Gotta love those rumors. Everyday is like Christmas!

You wouldn't be surprised if Carter was to announce a Millennium movie? That would be the biggest and most surprising news in the history of Millennium... a lot more than the creation and cancellation of the show.

Guest Jim McLean
Gotta love those rumors. Everyday is like Christmas!

You wouldn't be surprised if Carter was to announce a Millennium movie? That would be the biggest and most surprising news in the history of Millennium... a lot more than the creation and cancellation of the show.

I wouldn't be surprised, but regardless of Lance's buzz, I don't think anything would be announced until after the box office of X-Files 2.

I don't think it would be a "Millennium" movie though - it would be a Frank Black movie. For three distinct reasons:

1. The Millennium - be it the date or the fictitious group no longer carries weight. It's a date which won't stimulate market interest about a complex and vague group which few will remember.

2. The Millennium arc in itself is pretty much closed up. Yes, it could be reopened, but quite honestly, I don't think there is enough meat there to create an interesting film for mainstreams without the whole mythology getting to convoluted. Furthermore, the conspiracy arc has been done to death. One of MM's faults was getting too close to X-Files in some respects. I think this is a mistake Carter won't make again. His profile show took a dip into conspiracies and supernatural in the second year which tied it too close to the X-Files to keep MM's individuality. I don't think he'd want to follow similar veins in Frank Black movie.

3. Both Carter and Henriksen see potential in Frank Black more than Millennium.

4. From a filmmaking point of view, if X-Files 2 does well enough to make Carter bankable on other projects, I think he'd very much want to realise a film that stars Frank Black as a character in a story told beyond the concept of Millennium. That would probably make funders less nervous of a film rooted in a dead TV show and allow Carter to explore a character he enjoys, with a bankable star and free reins to make a film that could be thriller/supernatural/horror whatever. From a film making POV, a new film using an a cool character carries more vitality than a new film of an old show. There are less comparisons, less transitions to carry and less stigma.

I think Carter has something in mind for Lance, and if it isn't in X-Files 2 (and I've seen nothing in casting yet to suggest he is), I do wonder whether Carter is hoping to fire out something Frank Black related rather than Millennium. This seems more and more credible given both Lance and Carter's love for Black and the potential for Carter to be back in vogue with X-Files 2.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Sure would! But Terry O'Quinn said last year he believed his character was dead dueing a Lost interview. I'll never give up hoping he was okay though!

LOL, I wonder if Terry's views on Peter Watts would be different if he was unemployed. I am assuming that "Lost" is still coming up with new episodes? I hope there isn't a lynch mob in the area, but I guess I'm one of the rare few that the series just didn't quite click with. I would also love to hear that Watts is alive and that he was going to be in a Millennium movie. Of course, as has been mentioned in another post, it would more likely be a "Frank Black" movie, and not Millennium, unless maybe they changed 2000 to the other popular new date of the apocalypse, 2012 is it?

LOL, I wonder if Terry's views on Peter Watts would be different if he was unemployed. I am assuming that "Lost" is still coming up with new episodes? I hope there isn't a lynch mob in the area, but I guess I'm one of the rare few that the series just didn't quite click with. I would also love to hear that Watts is alive and that he was going to be in a Millennium movie. Of course, as has been mentioned in another post, it would more likely be a "Frank Black" movie, and not Millennium, unless maybe they changed 2000 to the other popular new date of the apocalypse, 2012 is it?

They could continue with a script from the virtual seasons. I have read some powerful stuff on the virtuals. They could easily combine a script

Guest Jim McLean
It would be nice to have a confirmation on Peter's whereabouts. Don't you think ?

Ooo, that makes it sound like he's more likely to be alive than dead, when I think its really the other way round! The whole thing played off as he's dead. Sure we didn't see a face, but from the direction of the show, and the fact it was the finale, just like one is innocent until proven guilty, Peter is dead unless we are told otherwise. Hope is a great thing, but while I agree there is the opening for his return, for all intents and purposes, I think we can safely say he's passed on, closing that chapter of Millennium - again why I think if Millennium returned - or should I say, if Frank returned - one shouldn't expect Peter unless Carter and O'Quinn found good enough reason to have him in there, though I suspect for Carter, his arc has been resolved; eaten by the Group he desperately tried to defend, for the friendship that had seemingly soured so badly.

Personally - and I can appreciate why people would want otherwise - I think that makes a fitting and poignant resolution to Watts than if he was brought back, which to me, would sort of deflate the power of that finale!