Back to Frank Black -- The Millennium Movie Campaign

Rate this topic

Guest lilblackgirl

Guest Jim McLean

I think the point of selling it on the Frank Black basis is important, and yes, I think we need to move away from the X-Files somewhat given its bad opening slot (and allegedly bland story).

Again, our voice would be small, but I think its worth sending that voice out.

• 3 weeks later...

The X-Files: I Want to Believe has now passed the $50m takings mark, so add in DVD sales and I think it should turn in a profit; I'm hoping this should be enough to give us hope for a third instalment. I think its only failings have been in the expectations of the public and reviewers alike for a movie that opened during the summer blockbuster season, as it does not fit into this category at all and makes no pretensions to do so.

One of the things that struck me the most about the movie -- and I would add that I went with the one and only Brian A. Dixon who concurred with me! -- was just how much it evoked Millennium in terms of tone, content... and for that matter supporting cast! It's an intelligent and subtle exploration of science versus faith with Mulder and Scully's relationship at its heart, and I may have just imagined it but with prominent use of a yellow house, Scully complaining of allowing the darkness of their former lives to return and Mulder responding, "This is who I am" plus more besides, I believe the parallels were there for those in the know to see.

Carter and Spotnitz should be congratulated for taking such a bold creative move and producing a very different type of story with IWTB that is true both to the heart of Ten Thirteen productions and, ultimately, also to Mulder and Scully. But I also think that, given the style of film that this is, a Millennium movie produced on a similar or perhaps even smaller budget could also yet prove viable. And Dixon was sure to put in a word for the show when we met the man himself amidst the publicity for this latest release in London!

• Elders (Moderators)

As for the Frank Black movie campaign, is there anything going on right now? We already have lots of brilliant ideas for doing it, and it would be a shame if we missed this opportunity. Now is the best time ever to make the Fox people "see the light". I admit it's a remote possibility to convince them and finally get a movie, but we will never get a better chance than right now. We shouldn't let it just slip away.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's up with the Frank Black Back campaign? Are we gonna do it or not? The X-Files fans did it with their "Create the Future" compaign and it seems like their voices were heard. So maybe it's time for us to make some buzz. And I'm sure X-Philes from many message boards can support us. I think it's wotrh trying. As they say in "I Want to Believe" -- "DON'T GIVE UP." ;)

Frank Spotnitz posted this letter n his blog:

https://www.biglight.com/blog/2008/08/who-cares-we-care.html

WHO CARES? WE CARE

Frank (and Chris),

OK, first things first: This film is in many ways superior to anything you've ever done before. A mature, subtle script -- a classic, beautiful, simply beautiful film. And clearly made as much from the heart as from your brilliant minds.

One of the many reasons that make it stand out was how much (I think) it owed to MillenniuM. In fact, in I Want to Believe it seemed as if you incorporated the best elements of both shows to create something truly memorable!

Which brings me to...

Our petition! (I guess by now you already know that even a completely satisfied 1013 fan will always ask for more!)

The Bring back MillenniuM/Frank Black petition is at https://www.petitiononline.com/Millfilm/petition.html. It has been signed by 2,940 ardent fans already. We've also started a Facebook group, We want a MillenniuM movie NOW! ;)

So, you know, we're imploring you to make this dream come true!

Thank you once again for all your hard work and inspiring stories,

Diego

Bs As, Argentina.

P.S. PLEASE beg Darin to write at least a scene for X-F3?? He can't say no, he has at least a couple of years to write it, right? So lock him in a room with Annie Wilkes and get the genius to work!

So it seems like they (Chris and Frank) really rely on us...

that was me! :)

Thank you for writing to Frank. ;) I think we should really show our support! And your TO-DO list was amazing. The only thing I missed: are we gonna do something? Online petition is a good starting point but it's not enough, I think. Look at Create the Future campaign: they did amazing job and all their letters were delivered to some FOX exec. We can make some buzz on XF forums, ask for philes' help. I think many of us have blogs or some pages in social networks -- we can make some little viral compaign! And don't forget international fans and international 1013 and XF-related message boards -- we can spred the word everywhere!

Hi chaps,

From the perspective of an individual who has mixed feelings with regards to a Millennium campaign I believe there are a number of reasons why the bright flames of enthusiasm this topic encouraged were coolly doused and this is in no small part due to the emergence of 'I Want To Believe' and the understandable swerve of attention away from Millennium. That said this thread did suffer, somewhat, from a divergence from its original intention and became an example of 'navel gazing' where we focused our concerns not upon the finer points of the project but rather the concerns of whether there was any viability or possibility of its success. If there are members who feel charged and ready to realise such a project then, to my mind, certain points need to be addressed. Whilst salient points have been raised with regards to the enormous odds this campaign faces a line needs be drawn under such discussion and a consensus has to be formed that those voices have been heard, respected and understood but this needs to end in order that members can concentrate their efforts without having to deal with the distracting voice of contention. More importantly it needs to be understood that in order that this campaign be conducted from within TIWWA it needs to respect the board's policies and not descend into the realm of a nuisance campaign, all efforts should be pacifistic. Ultimately the idea suffered from a lack of leadership and whilst I concur that Donkeyjote delivered a stunning brainstorm of potential ideas, such a campaign needs a more regular, energised contributor who can coordinate with swiftness and regularity. My desire has always been that Laredo lead this project but I understand his time is limited but before a single inch is moved forward a coordinator needs to be elected. I can see much to be had from a project such as this, the sheer unity, creatvity and fun it would encourage would create a sense of purpose amongst a body of souls resolute in their Millennial love and whilst it may be a fruitless exercise is there anything wrong with displaying that which we feel?

Best wishes,

Eth

Thank you most kindly Vivi :yes:

I just wished to add that in sharing my thoughts with those who wish to venture forth, my intention was not to demean the work Donkeyjote has undertaken privately to raise attention to the desires of Millennium fans. The very fact that Frank Spotnitz has chosen to post his message on his blog shows that, at least, he is being heard in the right places. My call for a leader to be assigned is merely designed to ensure that those fans on this board who are resolute in their desire to see such a campaign mounted have an ever present individual who can coordinate their efforts free from the constraints of managing a campaign already in place externally. As I said I have grave misgivings with regards to the potential for success but I can also see that some members are incredibly motivated where this is concerned and feel they need to coordinate and plan their efforts meticulously to afford them an conceivable degree of realising their ambitions.

I wish everyone all the very best of luck with this and hope that someone steps up to the plate with regards to coordination.

Smiles,

Eth