Vocal ID for your computer

Rate this topic

Guest Wellington

Guest PROVO_SIX

I like the Blade Runner references. Also, there are some really good ones from Dune.  They definitely have to be distinct so any movie buff can understand.

"Feyd...sweeet Feyd"

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen -Dune

All I can think of for vocal IDs aren't pop culture references but usually book lines, and other quotes.

Tshe dato tshe chima - that's Bhutanese for 'what you do now is what you will get later. It's from one of Pam Houston's (one of my favorite writers!) short stories, "In Bhutan There Is No Way To Be Famous," from A Little More About Me. And from that same story, "We will be there after some time."

And, from "Epilogue" in Waltzing the Cat "There is only one story." She goes back to this in a story in A Little More About Me but i like it better streamlined.

But none of these is very, how you say, Millenniumistic  :grin2:

I love Douglas Adams but his quotes usually come at the end of long complicated sentences, sometimes the end of long, complicated paragraphs or pages, and involve actions...

"nobody writes jokes in base 13" - which, of course, he did,

Jean M. Auel: "... there is NO evidence of war." A talk I went to

and another Pam Houston one, from "Three Lessons in Amazonian Biology": "is this what they tell you in your Ameica, that Paradise is a place without pain?" also in WTC; i have it underlined three times.

And some of my favorite quotes are from songs (some are very MMistic :bigsmile:) but are definitely longer than the requisite six-sylable length. and like someone said earlier, I don't think my roommate, my family, or anyone else would enjoy me singing to my computer to activate it. lol

there are some great ones from tv too, xf and L&O, and of course MM (which would greatly be mixing universes, not that MM didn't do that itself  :no:) but a lot of them depend on delivery and scene. i'd be hard pressed to muster up the exact emotion of a lot of my fave quotes every time i wanted to turn on my computer, and a lot of them are only relevant in context.

Natalie

"the planet has survived everything, in its time. It will certainly survive us."

Guest SouthernCelt

How 'bout these classic lines:

1.  "Goodbye, Mr. Anderson..." Agent Smith in "The Matrix"

2.  "You won't like me when I'm angry," The Hulk in "The Hulk"

3.  "They mostly come out at night... mostly." Newt in "Aliens"

-- Stephen the Stalker  :Ouro_Large:  :Owls_Ouro_Large:  :Ouro_Large:

:thumbsup_big:  Newt's line in "Aliens" would be my choice.  She had some of the best lines in the movie considering that she had only a few.

Guest SouthernCelt

For anyone who's interested, here's some of my favorite lines from favorite (and some not-so-favorite) movies:

Hasta lasagna, don't get any on ya. -- Character Jack Harmen in Mission Impossible.

From Aliens:

It won't make any difference. -- Newt to Ripley's comment that the soldiers are there to protect her.

We're on an express elevator to hell - going down! -- Hudson

I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid. -- Bishop

(Kinda long...) My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are. -- Newt

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit  That's the only way to be sure. -- Ripley

Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen! -- Hudson

From "Outlaw Josey Wales":

Hell is coming to breakfast. -- Lone Watie

We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie

To hell with those fellas. Buzzards have to eat, same as worms. -- Josey Wales

There's another saying, Senator:  Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. -- Fletcher

I figure a mans only good for one oath at a time, and I took my oath to the Confederate States of America. -- Ethan Edwards (John Wayne) in the "Searchers"

From Mad Max:

I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! -- Nightrider

Speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?" --Grease Rat

From "Mad Max 2:  The Road Warrior"

Be still my dog of war. I understand your pain. -- The Humungus leader

The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla! -- The Toady

You want to get out of here? You talk to me. -- Max

You can RUN, but you can't HIDE! -- Wez

From Mad Max:  Beyond Thunderdome

Two men enter, one man leaves! -- Barter Town Crowd (chanted)

Well, ain't we a pair, Raggedy Man. -- Auntie Entity

...bust a deal and face the wheel! -- Auntie Entity

...death is listening, and will take the first man that screams. -- Auntie Entity

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls... dyin' time's here! -- Dr. Dealgood

From "We Were Soldiers":

Smell like an ambush to you? -- LTC Hal Moore

It's getting pretty sporty down here, sir! -- LTC Hal Moore

From "Event Horizon":

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see. -- Dr. Weir

The crew is dead, doctor. Your ship killed them. -- Miller

From "Highlander":

...are the stars just pinholes in the curtain of night? -- Ramirez

Tonight you sleep in hell. -- the Kurgan to Ramirez

There can be only one! -- Connor MacLeod

From "Highlander II":

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, it's going to rust. -- Katana

Peace is highly overrated. -- Katana

From "The Stand":

Liars sit in chairs. Truth tellers just sort of... hunker down. -- Randall Flagg

My life for you! -- Trashcan Man

Country don't mean dumb.-- Stu Redman

Guest LauraKrycek
I think if I was picking my own activation code, not from a 1013 thing, I'd have to pick "My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."

Is that from The Princess Bride?  Or maybe that film copied it from somewhere else . . . but its a very good film all the same.  I watched it when I was little but didn't get the humour and was really scared of The Machine and the evil Prince, and then watched it again only a couple of weeks ago, coincidentally, and found it really funny.

I have no idea what my activation code would be.  Maybe 'Mulder!  That's absurd!'

Guest LauraKrycek
Yes, the greatest film ever!  I can watch that five thousand times in a row and still laugh and not be tired of it.  Yes, it's *that* good.  I've loved it ever since I can remember.  That was voted as one of the most recognizable phrases in movie history.

Guest LauraKrycek

Well, I guess people can't help being astute and recognizing a movie for the genius that it is.  If you don't like it, then you don't have to read the discussion.  Simple as that.

I personally could talk about this movie for ages and ages.  I know all sorts of insane trivia about it, have read the book, OWN the book, have Buttercup's "I realize I love you, Wesley" speech memorized (from the book), and can go on and on about the similarities between my high school drama teacher and the albino.  It's amazing, really.